Seven MEDIA-supported films win prizes at European Film Awards 2019
Seven films supported through Creative Europe's MEDIA sub-programme have been awarded 15 prizes at the 32nd European Film Awards. The Awards, recognising the best of European cinema, were handed out during a ceremony which took place in Berlin on 7 December 2019.
Yorgos Lanthimos' The Favourite was the big winner on the night with eight awards, including major ones such as best European Film, best European Director and best European Actress for Olivia Colman's portyal of Queen Anne. A UK-Irish-US co-production, the film was supported by MEDIA under the Development Slate Scheme.
The other MEDIA-supported winners of the night were:
- Pain and Glory Antonio Banderas received the award for best European Actor for his role in Pain and Glory by Pedro Almodóvar. The film also won the award for best European Production Design.
- Buñuel in the labyrinth of the turtles, a co-production from Spain and The Netherlands, was awarded as the best European Animated Feature Film.
- Portrait of a Lady on Fire by Céline Sciamma won the European Screenwriter award.
- Les Misérables by Ladj Ly received the Prize Fipresci awarded to the best European Discovery.
- Babylon Berlin was selected as European Achievement in Fiction Series.
- Cold War by Pawel Pawlikoski received the People’s Choice Award. Cold War was the top winner at 2018's EFAs.
8 lucky film lovers and members of the public who entered the #EFAQuiz online were selected out of 2000 entries to win a trip to the Awards in Berlin, including a Film Gala, which featured European cinemas' finest, from Werner Herzog to Juliette Binoche.
Find out more about the European Film Awards here.
Images: Lead image courtesy of EFA; Portrait of a Lady Fire - credit Lilies Films/ Curzon
12 Dec 2019