Join us at Cannes 2018
Creative Europe will be present at Cannes Film Festival (8 - 19 May) with a number of MEDIA-funded films screening in the festival selection and various industry events related to the programme scheduled throughout the festival.
To make the most of these Europe-focused initiatives look out for the following:
Panel discussion/ Co-producing Outside Europe: The Role of International Co-production Funds
Saturday 12 May, 15:00-17:15, Creative Europe MEDIA stand, European Pavilion
What are the benefits of co-producing outside Europe and how do European international co-production funds work and operate? What's in it from a European producer's perspective and what are the lessons to be learnt from their experience?Six European co-production funds active on the international scene and supported by the Creative Europe will present their work, role and vision. A representative of each fund together with a beneficiary (producer or distributor) will share their experience in this panel.
- Savina Neirotti, Executive Director, TorinoFilmLab
- Isabel Arrate Fernandez, Managing Director, IDFA Bertha Fund
- Josephine Vinet, Coordinator for Distribution and International Co-production CNC- ACM Distribution
- Per Eirik Gilsvik, Project Manager, Sørfond for Films from the South Festival
- Fay Breeman, Fund Manager, Hubert Bals Fund
- Vincenzo Bugno, Project Manager, World Cinema Fund
- Introduction and moderation: Catherine Buresi
Conference / Be Creative, Talk to the Bank!
Monday 14 May, 10:00 - 11:30, Salon des Ambassadeurs, Palais du Festival
This conference will showcase financial instruments that help creative and cultural projects scale up. The event will be an opportunity to find out more about Creative Europe's Guarantee Facility, meet financiers offering loans to SMEs involved in the cultural field and discuss the development of business strategies in the European financing environment.
- Mariya Gabriel, Commissioner for Digital Economy and Society
- Gunnar B. Mai, Head of Division, EU Guarantee Facilities, European Investment Fund
- Florence Philibert, General Director, IFCIC
- Caroline Norbury, Chief Executive, Creative England
- Philippe Alessandri, President, Watchnextmedia
European Film Forum / Teaming Up for Wider Audiences
Monday 14 May, 15:00-17:30, Salon des Ambassadeurs, Palais du Festival
This year’s Cannes edition of the European Film Forum will focus on the power of networks and collaboration to increase audiences for European works. The event will include keynote speeches from Mariya Gabriel, Commissioner for Digital Economy and Society, and Petra Kammerevert, Member of European Parliament. After two panel discussions with industry experts (including representatives from Filmdoo, MUBI and Europa Cinemas) Giuseppe Abbamonte, Director at DG CONNECT at the European Commission, will give the closing remarks. Find out more about the forum and full schedule of speakers.
10-16 May, various times, MEDIA Stand, European Pavilion
Throughout the festival a number of MEDIA-supported projects will be showcased. The nine presentations include:
- ARTE Europe – Towards a multilingual European digital media
- EAVE International: Puentes & Ties That Bind
- Viborg Animation Workshop: attracting creative minds from all around the world
- Bridging the Dragon: connecting European and Chinese film industries
- TorinoFilmLab: an incubator for feature film projects
- BABYLON River Rhine: Diversity at the heart of Europe
- European Documentary Network (EDN) - Moving Docs and the Media & Society initiative
- European Film Promotion: Discover the Spirit and the Diversity of Europe!
- Vodeville: all VOD-services in one place.
Creative Europe MEDIA stand, European Pavilion 119, Village International, Riviera
Organised by MEDIA-stands.eu, the European Pavilion is a meeting point for producers, distributors, sales agents, festival and training organisers. Market delegates can make use of the space throughout the festival and speak to representatives from the Europe-wide network of Creative Europe Desks, the policy experts at the European Commission and the Education, Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency (EACEA) who will be there to answer any questions about Creative Europe funding opportunities. Find out more.
EAO Conference / International Co-productions - A Success Formula for European film?
Saturday 12 May, 9.30 – 11.30, Olympia Cinema
This year’s European Audiovisual Observatory conference focuses on international co-productions. They’ll be talking to film funders, producers, distributors and European decision makers and asking them what they think about international co-productions as a success formula for European films and whether there are any traps to avoid. Find out more.
Events organised by Creative Europe-funded organisations
Exhibitor network Europa Cinemas will hold its annual Exhibitors Meeting on 13 May. They are also announcing the winner of their annual Europa Cinemas Label Award as part of the Directors' Fortnight on 17 May. Visit the Europa Cinemas website for more information.
EDN Networking Dinner
The European Documentary Network (EDN) is organising a networking dinner for its members in association with the Marché du Film. Sign up before noon 9 May.
Contacting Creative Europe Desk UK in Cannes
Along with other Desks from around Europe we will be at the Creative Europe MEDIA stand in the European Pavilion. Come and say hi to Francesca between 2 -4pm on Friday 11 May if you have any questions about the programme. You can also email her to set up a meeting.
Image credit: Cannes 2018 official Poster © Design : Flore Maquin - Photo : Pierrot le fou © Georges Pierre
01 May 2018