Distribution: Automatic Action 1 - Distributors
The call was published on
19 Sep 2019
The aim of this scheme is to encourage and support the wider transnational distribution of recent European films by providing funds to distributors and sales agents, based upon their performance on the market, for further reinvestment in the acquisition, promotion and distribution (including online) of new non-national European films.
The scheme works in two phases:
1. The generation of a potential fund which will be calculated according to the performance of the company on the European market during the reference period.
2. The implementation of the action: the potential fund generated by each company must be reinvested in:
Action 1 – Support to Distributors
- the co-production of eligible non-national European films
- the acquisition of distribution rights, for example by means of minimum guarantees, of eligible non‑national European films; and/or in
- the release of eligible non-national European films.
Action 2 – Support to Sales Agents
- minimum guarantees or advances paid for the international sales rights on eligible non-national European films
- the promotion, marketing and advertising on the market of eligible non-national European films
The following overview is intended for guidance only. General information and specific guidelines can be found on the website of the Education, Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency (EACEA), which manages Creative Europe.
This page focuses specifically on Action 1. An overivew of Action 2 can be found here.
Take a look at the results from the previous call in 2018.
Action 1 of this scheme supports cinema / theatrical distributors involved in commercial activity designed to bring to the attention of a wide audience a film for the purpose of exploitation in cinema theatres. This shall be the principal activity of the company or division of the company. The applicant must:
- be the holder of the theatrical distribution rights for the film in the country concerned
- carry out the theatrical distribution of the film in the country (determines the release date, plans, controls and executes the distribution and promotion campaign)
- pay directly the associated distribution costs
- be registered and have theatrical distribution operations in the country for which a grant is requested.
All films eligible for support must:
- be a work of fiction (including animated films) or documentary (minimum duration 60 minutes)
- have their first copyright established in 2016 at the earliest
- not consist of alternative content (operas, concerts, performances, etc.) advertising, pornographic or racist material or advocate violence
- have been majority produced by a producer/producers established in countries participating in the MEDIA sub-programme
- be made with a significant participation by professionals from those countries (see item 6.2 of the guidelines for a definition).
The total estimated budget for the co-financing of projects in 2020 is €27.85 million.
- €24.35 million will be allocated to Action 1 - Support for Distributors
- €3.5 million will be allocated to Action 2 - Support for Sales Agents
The financial contribution of the EU cannot exceed 40% of the total eligible costs of the project for Action 1 and 60% for Action 2.
See item 9 of the guidelines for an explanation of how the grant for each distributor is calculated.
The following documents must be attached to the e-Form (templates available soon):
- Annex 1: Declaration on the applicant's honour
- Annex 2: Financing plan for the films to be qualified (click here to access a database of qualified films)
- Annex 3: Certification of the admissions by the national correspondents designated by the Member States
- Annex 4: Estimated budget form
- Annex 5: Distribution strategy
- Annex 6: CVs of the legal representative/Head of Distribution
Applications from across Europe are assessed centrally by the Education, Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency (EACEA).