26 Apr 2018, 11:00AM
23 Nov 2017, 11:00AM
The call was published on
18 Sep 2017
This scheme supports European film festivals that programme at least 70% European films (or 100 feature films/400 short films) from at least 15 countries participating in the MEDIA sub-programme. At least 50% of these films must be from a country different from that of the festival.
- demonstrate strong efficiency in audience development (especially toward young audiences) by implementing activities before, during or after the event including year-long activities and/or decentralisation to other cities (with smaller partner festivals nationally or across borders) and/or any efficient outreach activities towards non-core film festival audience
- demonstrate a commitment to innovative, especially in the areas of outreach and audience development using the latest digital technologies and tools such as social media and online activities in order to create a permanent community
- amplify innovative approaches beyond expanding their reach (for instance cross-platform programmes etc)
- organise initiatives for film literacy (for example film education) in close cooperation with schools and other institutions throughout the year
- place strong emphasis on European films and especially films from countries of low audiovisual production capacity
- place strong emphasis on non-national European programming and geographic diversity of non-national European programming
- demonstrate interest to initiate and further develop collaboration and partnerships with other European film festivals across borders to increase resource efficiency including sharing of subtitling/dubbing, online viewing platforms etc.
The total estimated budget for the co-finacing of projects is €3.2 million.
Grants are awarded in lump sums according to the number of European films in the programming (for short films less than 50 minutes, four films are equal to one long film):
|Number of European Films||Lump Sum|
|Less than 40||€27,000|
|40 - 60||€35,000|
|61 - 80||€41,000|
|81 - 100||€46,000|
|101 - 120||€55,000|
|121 - 200||€63,000|
|More than 200||€75,000|
For festivals that show only short films the grant is calculated as follows:
|Number of European Films||Lump Sum|
|Less than 150||€19,000|
|150 - 250||€25,000|
|More than 250||€33,000|
The following documents must be attached to the e-Form:
- Annex 1 - Detailed project description (The Application Form)
- Annex 2 - Budget and Financing Plan (using the September 2017 exchange rate)
- Annex 3 - Declaration on applicant's honour
Together all attachments must not exceed 10MB.
Please note: It is no longer a requirement to send in a paper package following your online submission.
Applications from across Europe are assessed centrally by the Education, Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency (EACEA) with assistance from industry experts working in a relevant field and according to the following award criteria:
- Activities towards the audience, in particular outreach mechanisms, including online activities, film literacy activities and the use of the latest digital technologies and tools (30 points)
- The European dimension of the programming including its cultural and geographic diversity as well as the quality of the collaboration and partnerships with other European film festivals across borders (30 points)
- The size of the audience and professional community attending the festival and the impact of the festival on the promotion and circulation of European audiovisual works (30 points)
- The distribution of the roles and responsibilities of the team vis-à-vis the specific objectives of the proposed action (10 points)
The Guide for Experts offers a breakdown of how these points are awarded.