Follow The Vikings launches in Scotland
Follow The Vikings, a large Cooperation Project supported by Creative Europe, launched in Lerwick, Scotland on Friday 10 July. To kick off this 4-year project, 28 delegates (pictured) from all of the 14 partner organisations involved travelled to the Shetland Islands for their first steering committee group and to further develop their planning, having been awarded a grant of €1,960,000 from Creative Europe earlier in 2015.
Led by the Shetland Amenity Trust, this project celebrates Viking heritage throughout Europe and has a particular emphasis on creativity and culture, including the creation of an international touring event. Follow The Vikings’ key aims include international networking opportunities, skills development, reaching new audiences, promoting borderless tourism and promoting Europe as a global tourism destination.
Alongside 11 associate partners, there are 14 full project partners are:
- Shetland Amenity Trust, UK;
- Iceland Saga Trail Association, Iceland;
- Waterford Museum, Ireland;
- City of Upplands Väsby, Sweden;
- Museum Vestsjaelland, Denmark;
- Ab Bengtskär Oy, Finland;
- Sør Troms Museum, Norway;
- York Archaeological Trust, UK;
- Dublinia, Ireland;
- Lofotr Viking Museum, Norway;
- Concello de Catoira, Spain;
- Vikingveien in Vestfold, Norway;
- Avaldsnesprojekt, Norway; and
- National Museum of Denmark, Denmark
Their next meeting will be held in Foteviken, Sweden coinciding with the first project seminar focussing on teaching techniques, including the use of living history, oral presentations and story-telling.
16 Jul 2015