UK co-production selected for First Cut+ workshop
First Cut+, the new MEDIA-funded programme created for feature films that have previously participated in First Cut Lab, is gearing up for its inaugural edition that will take place from 16 to 20 January 2020 during Trieste’s When East Meets West.
Running for four days, the event will offer the participants three days of consultations with well-known film-industry experts on the topics of promotion, marketing, press, trailer-making, festival launch and sales strategy.
The projects participating in Trieste WEMW First Cut+ are:
- Romanian director Tudor Cristian Jurgiu’s upcoming feature, And They May Still Be Alive Today
- Ukrainian documentarian Simon Mozgovyi’s debut fiction film, Chrysanthemum Day
- Portuguese helmer Ana Rocha de Sousa’s debut drama, Listen, co-produced with the UK and starring Lúcia Moniz
- Najmro by debutant Polish filmmaker Mateusz Rakowicz, which is inspired by 1980s Polish thief Zdzisław Najmrodzki
- Finnish filmmaker Teemu Nikki’s new feature, Nimby
- Polish director Grzegorz Zariczny’s sophomore feature, Simple Things, which combines elements of fiction and documentary
- first-time Croatian filmmaker Sonja Tarokić’s drama The Staffroom
- Latvian director Juris Poškus’ third feature, 24 Hours of Sunshine
The projects will also be screened in a Work in Progress session on Sunday 19 January in Trieste’s Teatro Miela, while one of them will have a chance to win colour-grading services provided by Polish company Orka Films, along with subtitling services and access services, courtesy of Sub-Ti.
Matthieu Darras, director of First Cut Lab, said:
“After several years of running First Cut Lab workshops, our team made the decision that many films would benefit from follow-up support aimed at the promotion of the movie internationally after the First Cut Lab workshops. This is why we created First Cut+.”
Newly appointed head of First Cut+ Ilaria Gomarasca also remarked:
“Once the directors are happy with their cut, then they can get this additional guidance in terms of the launch strategy. This is the ‘plus’ we are offering to the films that participated in the First Cut Lab sessions. And I am glad to be able to use my experience in international distribution to boost the market potential of these promising projects.
An additional eight projects will be selected for the second First Cut+ session, taking place during the Karlovy Vary Film Festival's Eastern Promises Industry Days, from 3 to 6 July 2020.
16 Dec 2019