MEDIA supported films at Berlinale 2019
The festival runs from 7 to 17 February, opening with The Kindness of Strangers from Danish director Lone Scherfig (An Education). French actress and Oscar winner Juliette Binoche will head up the International Competition jury for the 2019 festival, selecting the winners of Berlin's Gold and Silver Bears.
Joining the line-up of International Competition titles is also Agnieszka Holland’s drama Mr. Jones, a co-production from Poland, Ukraine and the UK. Following real-life Welsh journalist Gareth Jones (James Norton) whose reporting uncovered a deadly famine in Ukraine in the 1930s, the film’s showing at Berlinale will be its World Premiere.
The following MEDIA-supported titles will be showing at the 69th Berlin International Film Festival.
- Elisa & Marcela (Spain)
- God Exists, Her Name is Petrunija (Macedonia/Belgium/Slovenia/Croatia/France)
- Mr. Jones (Poland/Ukraine/UK)
- Out Stealing Horses (Norway/Sweden/Denmark)
- The Kindness of Strangers (Denmark/Canada/Sweden/France/Germany)
- Flesh Out (Italy)
- Flatland (South Africa/Germany/Luxembourg)
- Monos (Colombia/Argentina/Netherlands/Germany/Denmark/Sweden/Uruguay)
- The Miracle of the Sargasso Sea (Greece/Germany/Netherlands/Sweden)
- By the Name of Tania (Belgium/Netherlands)
- My Extraordinary Summer with Tess (Netherlands/Germany)
- Lotte and the Lost Dragons (Estonia/Latvia)
- Louis & Luca - Mission to the Moon (Norway)
- The Magic Life of V (Finland/Denmark/Bulgaria)
- Stupid Young Heart (Finland/Netherlands/Sweden)
Berlinale Special Gala
- Kids in the Spotlight (Germany)
- The Seeds of Columbus (Greece)
British actress Charlotte Rampling is also to be awarded the Honorary Golden Bear for lifetime achievement, with the festival programming a homage of her work featuring six MEDIA-funded titles.
Discover the confirmed line-up in full on the Berlinale website.
Image: The Miracle of the Sargasso Sea, © New Europe Film Sales
11 Jan 2019