Join the Europa Cinemas network in 2020
Applications are now open for cinema exhibitors to join the Europa Cinemas network in 2020 - an organisation uniting more than 1,130 cinema in 34 MEDIA countries with the primary objective of screening and promoting non-national European films.
There are currently 42 cinemas across the UK participating in the network, including Filmhouse Edinburgh, Broadway Nottingham, Barbican London, Watershed Bristol, Curzon Bloomsbury and MAC Birmingham. If you're interesting in joining the Network, you must submit an application before 15 September 2019.
The network is open to all cinemas that:
- have been open to the public for the past six months
- have a minimum of 70 seats
- programme a minimum of 520 screenings annually (370 for single-screen cinemas)
- programme recent European films, within 12 months of their national release
- adhere to the minimum number of admissions a year (30,000 tickets for Germany, Spain, France, Italy and the United Kingdom)
The guidelines on eligibility can be read here.
Cinemas must also commit to activities that satisfy the main objectives of the network, which are as follows:
- Increase and diversify programming in cinemas for European films and raise attendance for them, with a priority on non-national films.
- Encourage European exhibitors in their initiatives to attract Young Audiences.
- Develop a network of cinemas that can set up joint activities at the national and European level.
- Encourage innovation in the promotion of films and communication with the audiences.
Apply via the Europa Cinemas website.
Founded in 1992, the Network receives financial support through the MEDIA sub-programme's Cinema Networks scheme, as well as the Centre national du cinéma et de l'image animée (CNC).
You can read more about how Creative Europe supports cinemas in the UK in our 2018 results report.
Image: The Rio Cinema is an independent two screen cinema in Dalston, London.
26 Jul 2019