ON THE BLOG: Tips for your Video Games funding application
The next deadline for Video Games development funding is 27 February 2019. If you're thinking about applying, or currently in the process of putting together your application here are some useful pointers to help with writing your strategies...
Development strategy and exploitation
- gameplay should be clear, compelling and well-described, expanding on the different narrative arcs and scenarios
- the development strategy should be rigorous and realistic
- it should provide as much detail as possible regarding the UI and UX
- the concept should have transnational appeal
Distribution, communication, market strategy and target audience
- consider a variety of distribution platforms and make a case for why the selection is best suited to the project
- demonstrate an awareness of potential financing or distribution partners and that conversations have already started
- elaborate on specific communication strategies and potential partnerships, particularly in relation to game-specific media and relevant consumer forums
- identify primary and secondary target audiences and justify in terms of game preferences and patterns of use
Financing strategy and feasibility of the project
- the production budget should be realistic and correspond with the vision and ambition of the game
- consider the commercial potential of the project and its ability to generate revenue
- detail the innovative elements of the game - whether technical, narrative, graphic or sound - that push boundaries and challenge convention
Some other points to note
- We've compiled a list of resources to help guide you through what's required in terms of eligibility and the application process
- Be positive when describing your company and your projects - sell your company, team talents, awards, achievements!
- Write clearly. Be specific, detailed and consistent, drawing up alternative plans and scenarios for financing and distribution
- The cut off for applications is 11am UK time on the day of the deadline - the submission takes time so don't leave it to the last minute!
Image: Northern Irish game development company Italic Pig received funding towards the development of their game The Infinite Hotel.
24 Jan 2019