BFI release report on EU investment in UK screen sector
A new report released by the BFI shows that the UK screen sector has received £298.4m in EU funding over the last decade.
Authored for the BFI by consultancy firm SQW, the report looks at how different EU funds - including Creative Europe (and the previous MEDIA programme) as well as various Structural and Investment funds - have contributed to the success of the UK screen industries.
The investigation found that:
- 1,766 UK projects based across every nation and region accessed EU funding between 2007 and 2017
- Creative Europe (and the previous MEDIA programme) has invested £120.3m in the UK screen sectors
- European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) has invested £79.6m in screen-related projects
- Research and innovation fund Horizon 2020 and its predecessor FP7 have invested £71.5m in the sector
- Erasmus+ and the European Social Fund (ESF) have supported training and education programmes important to the sector
The report acknowledges the significant contribution of Creative Europe support for the distribution of UK films in Europe, as well as the important leveraging effect of EU funds and their ability to encourage private investment and stimulate job growth in particular.
The UK’s withdrawal from the EU will impact the UK’s ability to access European funds. While it is extremely unlikely that structural funds will be continue to be available, UK participation in EU programmes such as Creative Europe, Horizon 2020 and Erasmus+ is yet to be determined. In the meantime, UK organisations remain fully eligible to apply for the forthcoming Creative Europe MEDIA and Culture sub-programme calls until December 2020. Please refer to our website for the latest eligibility guidance and advice.
Read the full report on the BFI website.
What to know more about other EU funding?
We have created an overview of the EU funds that regularly support cultural, creative and audiovisual projects on the Creative Europe Desk UK website. Explore the bank of inspirational case studies and take a minute to consider if any of these funding streams could be a good fit for your next project.
09 Apr 2018