30 May 2017, 11:00AM
The call was published on
23 Sep 2016
The production and distribution of European television programmes with the potential to circulate within the European Union and beyond.
The following overview is intended for guidance only. Full guidelines and FAQs can be found on the website of the Education, Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency (EACEA), which manages Creative Europe.
Take a look at the Europe-wide results from the most recent deadline.
Applicant companies must:
- Be established in one of the countries participating in the MEDIA sub-programme and be majority owned by nationals from those countries
- Be independent – no more than 25% of the share capital can be held by a single broadcaster (50% when several broadcasters are involved)
- Have audiovisual production as their main business activity
- Own the majority of the rights to the project.
Programmes must be intended primarily for the purposes of television exploitation and comply with the following minimum durations:
- Drama (one-off or series) - minimum 90 minutes
- Animation (one-off or series) - minimum 24 minutes
- Creative documentaries (one-off or series) - minimum 50 minutes
For drama series only, sequels, second, third and further seasons are eligible.
The programme must be majority produced by companies established in countries participating in the MEDIA sub-programme and with a significant number of cast and crew who are nationals and/or residents of those countries (see page 7 of the guidelines for an explanation of how this is calculated).
The exploitation rights licensed to the broadcaster have to revert to the producer after a maximum period of 7 years for a pre-sale or 10 years for a co-production.
The total budget is estimated at €12.5 million across the two deadlines.
The non-repayable grants available depend on the type of production:
- Fiction or animation projects can apply for up to 12.5% of the production budget (capped at €500,000).
- Creative documentaries can apply for up to 20% (capped at €300,000).
Grants of €1 million (or 10% of eligible costs, whichever is lower) are available to projects that meet the following criteria:
- The first series of a TV drama series with a minimum duration of 6 x 45 minutes
- Co-produced between at least two production companies from different countries participating in the MEDIA sub-programme
- With a minimum eligible production budget of €10 million.
Applicants should have at least 50% of the estimated total financing of the production budget guaranteed from third party sources of finance (either through direct financing or by advance rights sales) at the time of submission.
50% of the total financing must come from European sources.
A minimum of three broadcasting companies from three countries participating in the MEDIA sub-programme must be committed (although stronger applications will have more than this).
Applications can be submitted on the first day of principal photography at the latest.
The following documents must be attached to the e-Form:
The following must be sent to the Agency (both hard copies and on a USB stick or CD-ROM) by registered mail/private courier no later than two weeks after the online submission:
- Copy of the Acknowledgment of receipt of the application and a copy of the e-form.
- A detailed production budget (in €, in your own format)
- Supporting artistic materials
- CVs of the director and producer
- Proofs of financing (signed letters of commitment, contracts, deal memos - details of the information required in these letters is outlined in Q21 of the FAQs)
- The URL of a trailer/teaser fro the project (if you have one)