Development: Slate Funding
European independent production companies looking to develop 3 - 5 projects with international potential for cinema, television and digital platforms.
The following overview is intended for guidance only. Full guidelines and FAQs from the previous call can be found on the website of the Education, Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency (EACEA), which manages Creative Europe.
Take a look at the results from the previous call in 2015.
Applicant companies must:
- Be established in one of the countries participating in the MEDIA sub-programme and be majority owned by nationals from those countries
- Be registered for a minimum of 36 months and have audio-visual production as their main business activity
- Be independent – no more than 25% of the share capital can be held by a single broadcaster (50% when several broadcasters are involved)
- Own the majority of the rights to the projects for which support is being sought
- Be able to demonstrate two eligible track record projects (see additional question for requirements)..
A proposed development slate can include any of the following audiovisual works:
Projects intended for theatrical release:
- Feature films, animations and creative documentaries (min. length of 60 minutes)
Projects intended for television (one-off or series) or digital platforms (total user experience):
- Drama (minimum length 90 minutes)
- Animation (minimum length 24 minutes)
- Creative documentaries (minimum length 50 minutes)
The first day of principal photography of the submitted project must not be scheduled to occur within 8 months from the date of application.
Applicants must also be able to demonstrate a track record and provide evidence that they were either the sole production company (or the majority producer in a co-production) on two eligible projects. These projects must:
- have been produced in the last five years
- have been commercially released or broadcast in at least three countries outside of the UK in the last two calendar years.
- meet the minimum lengths as those required for the project seeking development
If the company doesn't have the required track record then the personal on screen credit of the Chief Executive or one of the shareholders can be used instead. Only a credit as a Producer would be eligible, Executive Producer credits cannot be used.
Applicants can apply for grants to develop a slate of projects (between 3 and 5).
The total grant awarded can range from €70,000 to 200,000.
This is capped at €150,000 for slates that are only made up of documentaries.
Each project on the slate can receive between €10,000 to €60,000.