Development: Single Project
20 Apr 2017, 11:00AM
The call was published on
23 Sep 2016
European independent production companies looking to develop a project with international potential for cinema, television or digital platforms.
The following overview is intended for guidance only. Full guidelines and FAQs from the previous call can be found on the website of the Education, Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency (EACEA), which manages Creative Europe.
Take a look at the Europe-wide results from the most recent deadline.
Applicant companies must:
- Be established in one of the countries participating in the MEDIA sub-programme and be majority owned by nationals from those countries
- Be registered for a minimum of 12 months and have audiovisual production as their main business activity
- Be independent – no more than 25% of the share capital can be held by a single broadcaster (50% when several broadcasters are involved)
- Own the majority of the rights to the project for which support is being sought
- Be able to demonstrate an eligible track record project (see additional question for requirements).
The development of the following audiovisual works are eligible:
Projects intended for theatrical release:
- Feature films, animations and creative documentaries (minimum length of 60 minutes)
Projects intended for television (one-off or series) or digital platforms (total user experience):
- Drama (minimum length 90 minutes)
- Animation (minimum length 24 minutes)
- Creative documentaries (minimum length 50 minutes)
These minimums do not apply to non-linear digital platform projects.
The first day of principal photography of the submitted project must not be scheduled to occur within 8 months from the date of application.
Applicant companies must be able to provide evidence of one eligible track record project that was either:
- a production where they were the sole production company
- a co-production where they were the majority producer (as evidenced by the financing plan/co-production agreement)
- a production where the CEO/shareholder of the company was credited as a Producer (as evidenced by the on-screen credit). Executive Producer credits are not eligible.
In order to be eligible the track record project must:
- be a fiction, animation or a creative documentary project
- meet the minimum length requirements listed in the question above
- be produced in the five years preceding the submission of the application
- have had an official release (theatrical or online) or a TV broadcast, in at least one country outside of the UK between 1 January 2014 and the date of submission.
Festival screenings and DVD releases are not eligible. Commercial distribution online and distribution from an international sales agent are only accepted if documented by a revenues report that relates to this period.
The total budget is estimated at €5.3 million over the two deadlines.
Single projects grants are non-repayable and are awarded in lump sums:
- €60,000 for animation projects
- €50,000 for fiction projects with budgets equal to or above €1.5 million
- €30,000 for fiction projects with budgets below €1.5 million
- €25,000 for creative documentary projects
Creative Europe Desk UK offers free advice and support for Creative Europe applicants from the UK. Please get in touch if you are thinking of applying.
New applicants must first obtain a Participant Identification Code (PIC) by registering for an ECAS account and enter company information into the Participant Portal. Please watch our video tutorials for further instructions.