The National Youth Orchestras of Scotland
Total project grant (euros)
Percentage of budget funded
1 Apr 2015 - 31 Mar 2017
Number of partners in project
European Federation of National Youth Orchestras (EFNYO), Austria
Orchestre Français des jeunes, France;
The Norwegian National Youth Orchestra, Norway;
Fondazione Scuola Di Musica Di Fiesole, Italy;
The Irish Association of Youth Orchestras, Ireland;
Fundatia “Prietenii Muzicii” Serafim Antropov, Romania;
Orquestra de Câmara Portuguesa-Associação Musical, Portugal;
INAEM - Instituto Nacional de las Artes Escénicas y de la Música, Spain;
Wiener Jeunesse Orchester, Austria;
NJO (Nationaal Jeugd Orkest), Norway;
The National Youth Orchestras of Scotland, UK
MusXchange 2015-17 is a project coordinated by the European Federation of National Youth Orchestras (EFNYO). It involves 11 full partners and 28 further partners from 34 countries for 24 months. The project's sub-strands (MusX_musicians/orchestras/managers) are based on EFNYO orchestras' long-standing experiences as national platforms for high-level ensemble training, skilling new generations of musicians, engaging with audiences, and setting up European-wide mobility projects (2009-2014). Activities embrace well-established as well as new and innovative formats, including:
1. MusX_musicians/exchanges: sending/hosting 154 musicians to/from partner orchestras and within the wider EFNYO network to join orchestra projects abroad for 10 days to 4 weeks.
2. MusX_musicians/training: sending/hosting musicians for workshops, incubator programmes, and peer-learning activities on issues of music training, audience building, entrepreneurship and innovation in music.
3. MusX_musicians/going professional: 8 musicians on 2-week internships with ONE professional orchestras.
4. MusX_orchestras/chamber music: 48 musicians in bi-lateral pilot ensemble projects focusing on audiences and outreach activities.
5. MusX_managers/site visits: sending/hosting senior and junior managers to/from partner orchestras for the transfer of professional expertise in music training, orchestra management , audience engagement and innovation.
6. MusX_managers/training: train-the-trainers workshops and working groups on issues of music training, orchestra management, audience engagement, digital innovation, and the development of project-related strategies and evaluation processes. EFNYO develops a communication strategy focusing on the brand "MusXchange" thereby relating to the message of a new generation of musical youth and excellence in Europe, and their commitment to audiences and innovation based on the entrepreneurial mindset of the "whole musician".