EUBO Mobile Baroque Academy: Pathways & Performances
European Union Baroque Orchestra
Total project grant (euros)
Percentage of budget funded
1 Mar 2015 - 28 Feb 2019
Number of partners in project
European Union Baroque Orchestra, UK
Association Européenne des Conservatoires, Belgium;
Concerto Copenhagen, Denmark;
Estonian Record Productions, Estonia;
St John’s Smith Square, UK;
Arts Council Malta / Valleta Baroque Orchestra, Malta;
National University of Music Bucharest, Romania;
Villa Musica Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany;
Trifolion/Festival / Ecole de Musique & Ville d'Echternach, Luxembourg;
Royal Conservatoire in The Hague, Netherlands
EUBO Mobile Baroque Academy (EMBA) addresses the unequal provision across Europe of opportunities for baroque music education, performers and audiences. It is a project set up to build 4 bridges in the early music sector, using its faculty of experts and the transnational activities of its training orchestra European Union Baroque Orchestra (EUBO) to build these bridges. Baroque music is a common European cultural heritage from an era when musicians, just as today, travelled widely to experience different cultures, to fulfil creative ambitions and, crucially, to work.
EMBA’s "bridges" will serve to:
- reduce geographical divergence in resources and opportunities "N-S-E-W"
- create inspirational live experiences and engage audiences "Performer-audience"
- equip young musicians with a portfolio of career skills "Student-Professional"
- embrace new technologies to disseminate expertise and resources
EMBA provides a unique link into the profession and assists transnational integration for musicians specialising in baroque music performed on authentic instruments. EMBA nurtures talent, maintains performance quality and encourages creativity within the early music sector. EMBA tackles issues at a European level, raising standards to build a stronger environment in which early music performance can thrive. Expertise, skills and networks of EMBA’s co-organisers will shape the project through:
- Concert promotion: >100 performances throughout Europe-Music education: courses, resources (physical, digital), tuition
- Professional development: orchestral placements for emerging musicians
- Digital technologies: including interactive masterclasses
EMBA's legacy will be:
- better equipped teachers/institutions in the baroque sector
- a network of experienced & skilled musicians-freely available online resources
- wider audience geographical spread/age profile
- professional employment opportunities
- an enduring example of a sector-specific holistic business model